Monday 28 November 2016

The Trouble with Flickr



I first joined Flickr back in 2011 when I was looking for somewhere to share some pictures I had recently taken on a safari in Botswana. It was very simple then as I was just getting to grips with my first DSLR and wildlife photography was looming as a hobby. I posted a few up and thought no more of it.

A couple of years passed and as the hobby took a hold, someone said to me "what do you do with all of your pictures?" to which the reply was "nothing". So the Flickr suggestion was made and I readily embraced it, merrily tagging images, posting them in various groups, following like-minded people and building up a web of followers. To begin with I was happy to be involved: I was seeing a lot of inspirational images from others and drawing some nice comments from my followers.

It wasn't long though before I started to struggle with the whole concept. I was spending more and more time on Flickr when I should have been taking and processing my own images. Increasingly I felt under pressure. 

There are a number of reasons for this. Firstly, I am not qualified to comment on the quality of an image. I might like a particular picture, but the whole photography game is subjective, so equally I may not. I dislike certain styles for instance: HDR is top of the list, but an image cropped too tightly or within a huge frame also figure. And that is irrespective of how good the subject or quality of the image is. Then we get into the whole 'he doesn't comment on mine so I'm not going to comment on his' scenario. Don't even get me started on the copy and paste comment merchants and how insincere that is. Also, I can't see the point of 'nice shot Jim' nor the comments that actually say nothing.

So where does this leave me? It's true to say I have made some very good friends through my involvement in Flickr and for that I am grateful. I shall continue to post pictures to Flickr, but my focus now will be centred on our website (www.2togs.co.uk). I will continue to look at the new posts everyday, but my comments will be rare. If I am following someone, it's because I like their work. If only Flickr had a 'Like' button, the world would be a better place.

This will be the last post on this blog page as I transfer it to our website at www.2togs.co.uk/news.html.

2 comments:

  1. G,day Ian,

    Followed over here from the Flickr Link.
    It's funny really. Flickr is all sorts of things to all sorts of people.
    Agree with much of comment on how posts become overwhelming, time gets lost, and some comments, or lack of them are sometimes simply unhelpful.
    Yet, the friendships, and the ability to see work from many parts of the world are always inspirational to me.
    While I may never venture to many of the places, nor be able to enjoy the company of such a wide range of birds, the vicarious involement always makes me keen to log on see what is "happening on Flickr".

    I do appreciate that 'Flickr Overload' sometimes sets in. Dissatisfacton with my own work, my own inability to find the right words for comment, and sometimes my mental blindedness to the intent of the photo's maker causes me to wonder if I should continue.

    One thing that has always been a challenge with Flickr is the inability to keep a story line. Publishing shot after shot of images that link to a story is not one of Flickr's strong points. For that reason the my blog has been my outlet. Sometimes I can be frivolous, sometimes serious, sometimes simply sharing a moment.

    Keep up the good work, I'll try and check your blog from time to time, and hopefull we'll see you on Flickr with a selection of your work. Always a pleasure.
    Travel well, and may you find wonderful images to fill you lens.

    Regards

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too go through these grizzly/unsatisfied with Flickr phases mate, but have come to realise that comments aren't really that important, and wether a person i know comments or not doesn't bother me now,, and i certainly don't think badly of them for it. I still think that Flickr is the best showcase for most amateur toggers, and i don't believe a private website of my own would get half the attention. The meeting of, and correspondence with others with the same interest is quite important to me, and since i've been on it Flickr has delivered to me a lot of new friends. So,,, a lot of positives there mate,,, and don't let it pressurise you, because its not that important. Keep up the hobby, and always look to better your shots is my dictum,,, Frank.

    ReplyDelete