Tuesday 13 December 2016

Lucky or What

Great Northern Diver - Portland Harbour, Dorset

I've always felt fortunate that I was born in Dorset and I'm very happy to be still living here. There are downsides of course, but I can happily overlook them for the privilege of being here. Photographically I feel well placed too. I'd be the first to agree there are other equally good locations in the UK, we certainly don't hold a monopoly here, but I like the mild weather that the South coast offers.

My initial interest was in photographing wildlife, although that started in Africa. But carrying it on in the UK, I learned that Dorset is not a bad place to operate. Sure the main focus tends to be birds and I have to admit I'm now tiring of 'bird on a stick' images. I need my subject to be doing something, anything, even just flying, but not perched. If it's a rare species or a first, fair enough, but otherwise I want some action.

So why do I feel so lucky? Well living in Weymouth I have so many locations on my doorstep and they provide regular visitors and rarities. I have two RSPB reserves within three miles to choose from; Portland is a good place offering several locations and lately Ferrybridge is starting to provide plenty of opportunities. Then there are the one-offs, such as the current 5 Cattle Egrets in a field at Nottington. If I tire of birds, there are the Otters at Blandford and living on the edge of town I'm in close proximity to deer, badgers and foxes.

As time has progressed, I've become more interested in landscape photography and again, where could be better. I'm on the Jurassic coast and all of the images that can offer. Who hasn't seen a shot of Durdle Door and a little inland there's always Corfe Castle to name but two.

But these iconic sites do have a downside. How to get a different view, a problem I know a number of togs struggle with. I'd have to include myself in that category at the moment too. I've spent some time studying the genre and had one or two stabs at it, as you can see from my gallery. It's time for some action now and in the coming weeks, between a couple of wildlife trips, I'm determined to do some serious location searching. Wherever that takes me in the county, I'll be happy in the knowledge that I will find what I'm after in Dorset.


No comments:

Post a Comment