Thursday 26 October 2017

It's been a while

Monitor Lizard - Moremi, Botswana

Looking back, I noticed that last year I missed blogging for nearly four months, but this latest failure to post has broken that record. I can’t even say I’ve been busy with the camera, because I haven’t. In fact, since we returned from Hungary in early June, all I’ve managed is three landscape shoots. Little wonder then that I've had nothing to blog about.

It seems that once late Spring arrives, I lose all motivation. I don’t really care for macro work; bugs, butterflies and flowers don’t do it for me. Allied to an inability to get out of bed at unearthly hours, my landscape ambitions don’t progress well either.

It’s not as though I have a plausible excuse. Having retired in Spring, I should have all of the time I need and certainly more than when I was in full time work. The reality is I was doing more photography when I was earning a crust, which doesn’t seem right.

Lately I’ve been thinking the problem is that there are other things I’d rather be doing, after all I’ve been cycling or running for over 50 years, but that’s not the case either. I’ve even wondered whether to take a fresh tack; become a birder who takes photographs rather than a photographer who shoots birds. For a number of reasons, that’s not going to happen, but something has to.

Fortunately, there are rays of hope on the horizon. The coming five or six months are prime time for photographing wildlife in UK and I enjoy getting outdoors, even in Winter. It is also a good time to advance my landscape plans, without having to get up too early and I can do a sunset shoot and still be home for dinner at a sensible hour.

Perhaps best of all, Rose and I are shortly embarking on a trip to Kenya, which is a new location for us. If that doesn’t kick start the desire to get back behind a camera, nothing will. Hopefully it will also give me plenty of subject matter to write this blog on a weekly basis as per my original intention.

No comments:

Post a Comment